Making your websites or apps accessible is not a luxury but a need in the modern digital age. Search engine optimization (SEO) efforts make digital platforms available to people with a range of skills, limitations, and preferred ways of using technology. These efforts are good for both users and search engines.
The Importance of Accessibility in Web Development
In web development, accessibility is not a matter of “doing the right thing.” It is also a legitimate and moral obligation.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the United States and the Web Accessibility Directive (WAD) in the European Union are only two examples of the many national and international legislation that require accessible web experiences. Serious penalties, including fines, may result from noncompliance.
Yet, accessibility is not only required by law but also considered key policy:
- Building an Accessible World: Picture yourself cut off from news, entertainment, and other resources because a website wasn’t made to accommodate your specific requirements. Countless individuals with sensory impairments, physical limitations, or mental challenges face this reality every day. All people can engage in the digital world by using accessible websites.
- Improved User Experience for All: Features that make things easier to use are helpful for more than just people with challenges. Regardless of a user’s technological skill or situational constraints, websites are made easier to use with clear labeling, keyboard navigation, and alternative text for images.
- SEO Boost: Search engines like Google prefer accessible websites. They focus on material used by all users. An accessible website will boost your search engine ranking. It will attract more organic visitors and clients.
- Future-proof your website: Accessible websites will become the standard, not the exception. This will happen as technology advances and assistive devices become more common. By including accessibility features during development, you can ensure that your website remains relevant and functional in the future.
Guiding Principles of WCAG
The online Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) establish a set of generally accepted online accessibility principles. These recommendations lay out best practices to ensure that information and user interfaces are sturdy, perceivable, operable, comprehensible, and robust.
Remember that accessibility extends beyond technical conformance, even though WCAG compliance is critical. Building inclusive websites requires an awareness of consumers’ different demands.
Challenges of Building Accessible Web Apps
Additionally, not all developers have deep accessibility knowledge and dynamic content management with assistive technologies can be tricky. Testing and validation can be time-consuming, with manual and automated testing limitations.
Stay updated on WCAG guidelines and best practices. Use accessibility plugins and extensions to enhance web accessibility. For a complete and efficient procedure, test and use automated tools to find and fix errors.
How Froala Can Help Develop Accessible Web Apps?
Froala Built-in Accessibility Features
Here’s how Froala empowers you to create accessible experiences:
- Keyboard navigation: Navigate the editor and content using keyboard controls. Ensure accessibility for users with motor limitations.
- Froala is WAI-ARIA compliant. It uses WAI-ARIA attributes to describe content and functionality for screen readers.
- 508 Compliance: Froala meets the stringent accessibility standards of Section 508. This ensures your apps follow legal requirements.
- Make the alt text of images descriptive: Add it within the editor for impaired users. This action fulfills WCAG Success Criterion 1.1.
- Follow the most recent trends: Stay informed about the latest trends in web development to contribute effectively to creating modern websites.
- Correct nomenclature for variables: Functions, Variables, and classes need meaningful and descriptive names. This makes the code easier to read and less confusing for the other project participants.
Rimsha Ashrafa former writer for Froala, showcased exceptional talent and dedication during their tenure with the company.